Thursday, June 16, 2016

Thoughts on MLM

     Multi level marketing. We've all heard of it, I'm sure. Unless you happen to be a lot luckier than I have been.
     I have no problem with the concept, and having people earn money that way, but as a business, it's not for me.
     There are some companies that I actually love the products they have, but again, turning it into a business isn't for me. I'll tell you a little bit about why I came to that.
     Over the course of the past ten years I have watched a disturbing trend among friends that chose to make multi level marketing their profession.
     It started with family. My brother-in-law and his wife found ReLiv and their life became crazy. Instead of focusing on what used to be their main source of income they threw their whole effort into marketing, traveling all over the U.S. to make their dreams come true. They were successful, but at the expense of their family life. Their five children spent the majority of their life staying with other people while Dad and Mom were out selling ReLiv. Conversations became excruciatingly boring around them because all they could think about was ReLiv, therefore it was all they could talk about.
     Next a friend found Arbonne. We used to have basically everything in common. Both homeschooling our four children, both sharing the same view on life. It was good. Her venture into marketing Arbonne started innocently enough. She had been introduced to the products, and really loved them, and then she set her eyes on the money possibilities and everything else went downhill from there. Traveling to promote the products became her goal. Sure she got her new cars, and cashed huge bonuses, but at what expense? Her Facebook that used to be so interesting became an advertising platform, her ready sense of humor got traded in for conversations about the products, and saddest of all .... her children are now being sent to public school because Arbonne is taking all her time and she doesn't want to sacrifice it for what she used to consider being so very important, her children.
       Next up is another good friend I have. Her world changed when she was introduced to Plexus. Again, as with the previous two, it has become all consuming. As she travels everywhere to talk about the products. Her Facebook has switched to talking about it, instead of delightful snippets of her life. I'm watching quietly as her husband and six children are getting less and less of her time while she pursues the business with unwavering focus.
    The list could go on to include others that did Melaleuca , Herbalife, and Conklin.
    There are products from some of these companies that I actually like, but no amount of money is worth sacrificing my family. I'll use what I want, but promoting, recruiting, and pouring my life into it, is not for me.

4 comments:

  1. Amen! I feel the same way about several of my friends. Sacrificing what I truly important. You can't go back and retrieve what you've left behind either. Life moves on while you're pursuing other things.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad but very true, Mrs. Pepper! I have also witnessed this. I have been a consultant for several different home party companies and have seen many women sacrifice their families in the pursuit of money. For me, being a consultant was for fun, not to make a big income. When my family needed me more, those jobs were done. I don't regret being a consultant as I have made new acquaintances and some a now friends but my family came first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband I were talking about this last night. His cousin is now selling one of the products you mentioned. I said to him that I might have to hide her on FB because all of her post are about this product. She even works it into simple post about the kids. Such as "kid #1 rocked soccer last night. Must have been the xxxx drink that gave her so much energy!" Now, there is nothing wrong with earning a little extra to help the family as long as it doesn't completely consume you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, multi level marketing makes the price of products sky high. Secondly, everyone becomes a potential customer. I recently unfriended my niece because of this. She made it look like she was living the life on facebook, but I just happen to know that it is false. If someone friend requests me, the first thing I do is try to figure out if they are selling any of these products. If they are, I know they are simply looking for a customer and I don't take the bait.

    ReplyDelete

Awww, you just made my day! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.