Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Hodgepodging

 
1. When did you last 'swim against the tide'? Explain.

It's summer and Bible school time. As a family we choose not to send our children to VBS and church camps. Doesn't mean we don't love God, it just means we don't see the need for our children to be put into uncertain situations without Mr. Pepper and I being present.

2. What's the last self-help or self-improvement book you read?

The Bible.

3"Tolerance is a tremendous virtue, but the immediate neighbors of tolerance are apathy and weakness." (Sir James Goldsmith) 

Agree or disagree? Discuss. With civility please, because I think we have a good thing going in our very diverse (in geography, age, religion, political persuasion, ethnicity, marital status, upbringing, and cooking abilities) neighborhood here on This Side of the Pond.

I agree. I think as a whole we need to be more tolerant of each other, and opposing views. That doesn't mean we have to simply accept everything, or change our morals and convictions, but there is never a need to spew hatred.

4. What is one of your most vivid memories of the kitchen from your childhood?

Cooking and baking with my mother. I loved it! She included me, and I think enjoyed my help with every meal she made as far back as I can remember.

5. How did/do your own children's summers compare with your summers as a child? If you're not a parent, answer as it relates to what you've observed about the current generation of children vs. your own childhood.

I spent a lot more time outdoors unsupervised. Our children enjoy being outdoors, but we don't allow them to roam the neighborhood like both Mr. Pepper and I used to do in our childhood. Times have changed so much, and we don't feel it's safe.

6. Tell us what body of water you would most like to be on or near today, and why?

At a beach somewhere. Preferably somewhere in the north.

7.  Share a favorite song about water, or a favorite song with the word water in it's title, or a favorite song to listen to as you sit beside the water.

I Can Walk on Water by Basshunter. Maybe not my favorite water song, but I do like listening to it occasionally.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Taking evening walks on the different hiking trails in our area is pleasant this time of year. So many flowers blooming. I love seeing them.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with the times being unsafe for children. I'm amazed at all the things we did in our day when I was little that I wouldn't even think of having my children do on their own. They turned out just fine (even better) because of it. Beautiful photo of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up I was not supervised so much. As my daughters (age 27 & 25) were growing up some supervision, but not with grandsons a constant supervision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Times have definitely changed as evidenced by our kids outdoor time. I am in such agreement with all that you said in #3. You said it well. Visiting from the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying all the blooming pretties in my mom's neighborhood too. I walk every day and there are some lovely yards. Thanks for joining in today : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about the changes to the way children are allowed to play these days. Pretty flowers. Visiting from the Hodgepodge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm enjoying reading the answers people are posting on tolerance. Just please don't shove things down my throat. There have been some examples lately from opposing views.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto the comment on how summers have changed- I remember being VERY independent outside when I was the age my children are now. I wish it could still be like that! ;(

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flowers are so pretty! The picture is so close that I wish I could smell them!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Awww, you just made my day! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.