Monday, May 18, 2015

The Verse

     When our oldest son had just got a good grip on reading he could be found with his nose in a history book or the Bible. He didn't care much for fiction books even though we had shelves filled with books I had hoped he would enjoy someday.
     When he was eight we got him his first quality Bible and he was thrilled. For the next several months when ever someone stopped by our house he would wait for an opportunity and proudly show them his Bible, and then read his favorite verse to them. Proverbs 7:27 Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.
      The first time he read that verse to someone I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me. When it didn't I simply pasted a weak smile to my face and managed to steer the conversation to more pleasant paths.
      I wrestled with what I should do. How do I tell my son not to have that as his favorite verse, and why did he choose that one to begin with? I decided not to address the specific verse and instead try to get him to appreciate some more appropriate verses as his favorite. I didn't want to in anyway put the thought into his head that part of the Bible is not good.
      Fast forward seven years. He still loves reading his Bible, and last night when Mr. Pepper and I were heading to bed I paused for a moment outside our boys bedroom door where I listened to our fifteen year old son read a few chapters of the Bible to our three year old son, and then explaining what he had read. I had to blink back tears of joy as I heard our three year old say, "More, read more!" when his brother announced it's time to go to sleep.
     Seeing them love God's Word makes this Mama's heart glad. And so happy that I didn't squash his love of the Bible back when the verse he loved most embarrassed me to no end.

3 comments:

  1. This was a delight to read! And that first verse...not a bad thing to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very hard sometimes to know when to be silent. Sounds like he is passing it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO funny. I remember being similarly embarrased by my now 31 year old son. His children are now embarrassing him. I love how they all love the Bible though. It sounds like you have a wonderful son who is sharing his love with his siblings.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Awww, you just made my day! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.