Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Soul Mates

     People seem to be fairly divided over the topic of soul mates. Over the weekend one of my brothers and I had an interesting discussion concerning the concept. He doesn't believe soul mates exist, in fact after having been burned a number of times he has achieved quite a dark view on love and marriage in general.
     I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the soul mate issue either. Is there really only one perfect person out there for everyone? I don't quite see that. Mostly I think that if two people fall in love, get married, and are committed to giving their all they become each others soul mate.
     On the other hand, sometimes ........ sometimes I wonder. The story behind Mr. Pepper and I getting married is an interesting one. If it were written in a book there are people who would sigh and shake their heads wishing that things like that actually happened in real life.
     He is my soul mate. Did I know it the first time I met him? No. Neither did he, but with time something changed and one day it was as if a piece of life's puzzle clicked into place. From our very first date, to now more than twenty years later we both are convinced it was something more than us that brought us together. God was directing it, He knew what both of us needed. Because of that I'm hesitant to say that there isn't something like soul mates, because I know I have found mine.
***
   There was this certain pastor who started a church, his dreams and goals for it were something my parents were impressed with when they heard about it and several months later we located to a new state so we could be part of this church family. I was only a little girl at the time, so I didn't understand exactly why this church seemed to be so important. We hadn't been in a habit of going to church regularly before.
    This new church grew fast. The pastor was well liked, and more and more people flocked to it. As with any church though, especially those with any size, there seemed to be cliques, or classes of people. The pastors family of-course the elite, and our family, well, it happened to be in the lowest class there.
    Because of the way our home life was, I had vowed to never, ever get married. I had plans made to move out as soon as I was of age, a few years at a job until I saved up enough money and then I'd be going to Alaska. In the meantime I watched in disgust as girls basically threw themselves at the pastor's youngest son. He didn't seem to enjoy their attention, but it didn't keep them from trying. I couldn't even imagine trying to talk to him. Our worlds were totally different, he came from a well-to-do family that every one liked, his Dad a pastor, and everyone seemed to crave their approval. My little world, we were a homesteading family, by no means well-to-do, and people treated us as such. So how did it happen that with the huge difference between us on top of my vow to never get married, that the pastor's son (Mr. Pepper) chose me? 
     I can only say it was God. He knew we were meant to be together and somehow He orchestrated things to make us see that.
     So do I believe in soul mates? Kinda, sorta, yeah I do. After all I have found mine even when I wasn't looking, and life, well, I can't imagine life could get any better.
   

8 comments:

  1. Mrs. Pepper, interesting that you thought of the pastor's family as well-to-do...not usually the case with pastors. In any case, yes, I do believe in soul mates. My hubby walked into my life right after I was strong enough to walk away from a very unhappy marriage. He is several years younger and was still looking for someone, and it just happened to be me., We have since had 30 years of wonderful life together. A psychic friend of mine thinks we were together in a former life.....now there's a subject for ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think a lot of pastor's families aren't well-to-do, but in this case I happen to know they were. Besides being a pastor he had several businesses and aside from the new big house they lived in they always had the best of everything. A whole different league from what I was used to.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have a good love story! I think some people are destined to be together, but I don't think it works that way for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I don't think it works that way for everyone. From what I've seen it actually doesn't seem that common which is part of the reason I used to be terrified of the thought of marriage.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet story. I met my husband of almost 37 years in Sunday school. He was 19 and I was 15, and the rest as they say, is history! I truly believe he is my soul mate and I'm his.
    Blessings,
    Betsy
    http://betsy-thesimplelifeofaqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is sweet when spent with your soul mate. I'm so glad you found yours!

      Delete
  4. Soul mates? Yes.
    I knew the minute I met my husband he would be my life. : )

    ReplyDelete

Awww, you just made my day! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.