Sunday, November 2, 2014

Time


     Ever since becoming a mother I have wished there was a way to control time. Speed it up through tough times like sickness and sorrow, and freeze it for a while during other times. Make those special moments last for longer than just a moment.

     Since manipulating time is not an option, a good thing I'm sure, I instead try to make the time I do have, count. Weighing priorities helps.

     When my youngest son comes to me carrying a coloring book and a box of crayons wanting me to color with him I decided the dusting can wait until tomorrow. Dusting and cleaning will always be here, but  he will grow up before I know it. Placing my dusting cloth on top of the rolltop desk, I joined him lying on the floor and colored three pictures.

     Reading Green Eggs and Ham just one more time instead of a book I acquired several weeks ago and have yet to crack open the covers. Playing Uno with the girls when I have not yet checked my email today. Discussing farming methods and costs with my oldest son even when I find it to be a less than stimulating conversation. It's all part of trying to make this time with our children count. They're growing up much faster than I'm ready for and I don't want to look back and wish I would have spent more time with them.

    We may not be able to provide them with the best of everything, their clothes may come from a thrift shop, their toys may be few, I may not be able to give them much material wise, but I can give them time, attention, and all the love in my heart. In the end I'm thinking and hoping that the latter three meant the most to them anyway.

14 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Pepper ... beautiful writing. Your family is blessed with your love and your time. In my way of thinking, two of the very most important things that we can give to others. ♥ Sweetest Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about the two most important things.

      Some of the best memories of my own childhood have nothing to with things, but are of time my parents spent with me.

      Delete
  2. I've really enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you a little bit. I'm following and it used an old profile pic....but I hope you'll recognize me! lol Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh..I love to color! I recently found some links to more complicated color pages.
    I hope to print and color a page soon.

    Enjoy time with your children while you still have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like so much fun! Care to share the links?

      Delete
  4. I wish I had done all of these things more with our children but alas, they have grown and gone. The grandchildren live far away but when I see them, the world stops for the time being and everything is focused on THEM. I have learned the hard way, you never get these moments back and they grow way too fast. Enjoy!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your grandchildren really enjoy their visits to your house!

      Delete
  5. Such precious words of wisdom, Mrs. Pepper. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. Time goes by way too quickly and I'd rather have those sweet moments with my family than the other "unimportant" moments that could have waited.

    Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!

      Hope you have a beautiful week as well.

      Delete
  6. Every word you wrote is true.. my sons are 48 and 50 and I have so many many times wish I had done just what you said you did in this post. i did not have the wisdom and did not play or color. i worked and cleaned and had no time for them. you are doing it the right way... blessing on you and your family. i read your introduction to your family and enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for your words of encouragement that I'm doing something right.

      Delete
  7. That is so true and you will never regret the time spent with your children. It is so important in so many ways. Too many only recognize this wisdom when it's too late.

    ReplyDelete

Awww, you just made my day! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.