Friday, November 21, 2014

Thanksgiving Food Collection

     Several weeks ago our pastor announced in church that they want to do a food collection to help out a family that could use some extra love and care over the holidays.

     We are on a budget, but happily looked through our pantry for some items to donate, and when we went grocery shopping we chose a few Thanksgiving related items. Knowing you are helping  a family who is struggling be able to have a nice meal made us feel good, spreading love and care anonymously .... is something our family has always enjoyed.

     About an hour ago my daughter announced that someone just drove in. I looked out the window and saw one of the ladies from church getting out of her car. The house was, lets say, interesting. We had just finished our school day and hadn't straightened up yet afterwards. I was wearing an over sized comfortable t-shirt. Knowing I didn't have time to do anything about either one I went to answer the door and welcome her in.

     "We came to drop off the food the church collected for you," she announced.

      I'm not sure if my face showed the disbelief I was feeling. "You didn't have to bring us anything," I assured her.

     "We did it for you," she beamed as if she were bestowing a huge blessing on us, and then stepped aside while three huge boxes over flowing with groceries were carried in followed by someone carrying a big turkey, pumpkin pie, and a sweet potato casserole.

      I was speechless as they wished us a Happy Thanksgiving and turned to leave.

      The children were equally as speechless. "I thought we were helping a very poor family or maybe some homeless people," my oldest daughter whispered.

      "I thought so too," I told her. We have never gone hungry, while we are no where near what you would call wealthy, we also don't consider us to be living in poverty. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should be feeling very thankful that God has blessed us with extra groceries. Or should I be packing everything up and dropping it off at a food bank. Either way, I feel about two inches tall.

4 comments:

  1. Someone has put your name on the list, perhaps based on something you said about money being a little tight. I think you should not feel embarrassed, but be grateful that you were remembered at the holidays. But I would definitely have a conversation with the pastor about it to make sure there is no further misunderstanding. A dilemma for sure. The agency I work with asks people if they would like to be on the list for gifts from people who ;would like to help out. If they decline, we do not include them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My humble opinion is that a good thing to do would be to write a thank you card to the church. If you truly have overflowing cupboards, by all means donate it to someone in need. Otherwise you could accept the gift with graciousness and thanksgiving, in the spirit it was given. It's interesting that this was the subject of our Bible study lesson just last night at our small group. It was pointed out that we rob someone of their joy when we don't want to accept their gift. Of course you must do want you feel is best. You know many of the circumstances that we're not aware of. In any case, Happy Thanksgiving my friend!
    Blessings always,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what a story, dear Mrs. Pepper! You and your sweet family have been given a tremendous blessing and I can understand your reason for not being sure about what to do - I wouldn't know what to do either. I agree with what Linda and Besty said. I think it is wise to thank the people of your church for this thoughtful and generous gift, but I also think it is wise to talk with your pastor.

    I have no doubt that God will direct you and give you the wisdom you need during this time. May you have a very Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh...oh...that was not done well.

    :(

    I don't know the 'right' way to do it, but if it left you feeling two inches tall, it wasn't the right way.

    ReplyDelete

Awww, you just made my day! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.