Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Simple Woman's Daybook

http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/
 
FOR TODAY

Outside my window... it's still dark, but the voices of many cows bereft of their calves is filling the air. Our landlord moved all the calves to another pasture last night and it's been musical ever since.

I am thankful... our firewood has been made and our coalbin is full. We're ready for winter!

In the kitchen... I have a whole chicken ready to plop into the slow cooker. We'll be having chicken and dumplings for dinner again tonight. It's one of our favorite things to eat.

I am wearing... A  long, cozy, burgundy housecoat/robe. I'm always cold in the morning when I get up and tend to wear it for at least half the day.

I am creating... I'm trying my hand at making a quilt top in a design I have never tried before. So far it has been a lot of trial and error.

I am going... no where today, but tomorrow night I have to take the children to another Christmas pageant practice.

I am wondering... how long it will be before they get serious about making the costumes for the pageant. I was asked to help, but since no one else is doing anything I can hardly "help" It's making me feel a little antsy.

I am reading... Other than my Bible I don't have a whole lot of time for reading anything other than school related things. We're all enjoying reading through the Life of Fred language arts program.

I am hoping... that our landlord will get our water situation fixed today. He brought a new water tank out last night, but it was defective and didn't work at all so he'll be trying again tonight. In the meantime the water we have is murky and needs care before being fit to drink.

I am looking forward to... Thanksgiving!

I am learning... that homeschooling high school isn't as scary as I thought it might be.

Around the house... The remnants of a blanket fort from last night are still on the floor. The breakfast dishes from Mr. Pepper and I are still on the sink waiting to be washed until the children wake up in about fifteen minutes and have their breakfast.

One of my favorite things... my Inkjoy pens. I enjoy writing, a lot. And ever since I discovered Inkjoy I like it even better.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
Besides the daily dozen and our regular school work every day.......Today music lessons. Tomorrow night pageant practice. Thursday grocery shopping. Friday wrapping up our school week and doing some type of fun art project. Saturday laundry and deep cleaning the house.

25 comments:

  1. Hello Mrs. Pepper! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog earlier today. I've come for a visit and have enjoyed my stay. Isn't it a mournful sound...that of Mama Cow and Baby being separated? I do hope that your water situation gets cleared up today. I've give you a "follow" and will definitely be back to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope our water situation clears up soon too!

      Delete
  2. Good morning!
    I enjoyed visiting with you this morning...
    Your day sounds cozy, just as I like mine to be.
    Hope your water situation gets fixed soon.
    Have a happy day. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made chicken n dumplings, I may have to give it a try. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe I use is really very simple and so delicious! I may have to share it on my blog someday.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for visiting my blog. I homeschooled my youngest son through high school. I thought it would be scary but it was fun. We were able to be very creative in his subject matter regarding electives and it turned out to be a good experience for him. I love chicken and dumplings! Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoying homeschooling the high school years. Always encouraging to hear from others who have been there.

      Delete
  5. Dear Mrs. Pepper ... Good Morning! I enjoyed your "Daybook" ... it sounds like your day will be a homey one. The very best kind. Today is our shopping day. It has turned very cold here, so a bundle up kind of day for us. Warmest blessings for your day. ♥ Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy homey days. :) I agree, they are the best.

      Delete
  6. Mmmm! Chicken and Dumplings sounds delish! I am hoping to make a chicken pot pie this week. I would love to hear the sounds of cows lowing but I think the cries of mother and calf might make me a little sad. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calves were born in early spring so it was time to get them weaned and separated from their mothers. In human years they are basically big teenagers. :) It sure is noisy though.

      Delete
  7. It's in the 40s today in Texas, a bit chilly for us, and it's going to be colder in the next couple of days. So your post makes for great cozy thoughts on an unseasonably cool morning. I would never have considered home schooling, but greatly admire those who can do it effectively. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40's sounds nice to me, but then we live much further north. :)

      Delete
  8. I loved reading this! I homeschooled high schoolers and loved it. And I too wear my robe in the mornings (and sometimes I'm still wearing it at noon. I try not to let that happen, but...) Enjoy your day. It will smell good in your house today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear you loved homeschooling through high school! I try not to wear my robe too long either, but have had to shrug out of it on more than one occasion when someone stopped by unannounced.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a wonderfully fun day...except for the water part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having water like we should is the one cloudy part of our day.

      Delete
  10. This time of year lends itself to working on quilts. I have a couple of grandbaby quilts I'm behind on right now and hope to get busy on now that the weather keeps me indoors more these days. I wish you success with your new design!

    Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun to be working on grandbaby quilts!

      Delete
  11. Chicken n Dumplins????? Do share if you have a tried n true recipe! I SUCK at making dumplins which just kills me because my grandmother (Lord rest her soul) made THE BEST dumplins EVER and I can't find anything close to what she used to do! :( Waaaahhh!

    Homeschooling high school! I think that's awesome! I homeschooled my oldest two years. He's in 9th grade now and... I'm not sure I'd be able to do it... mostly because he LIVES for the sports provided at their school. At least it's a private Christian school so I know he's getting some of what I'd want him to learn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I could compete with your grandmothers dumplins, but we really enjoy the ones I make. I'll share the recipe one of these days.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like you are living a busy and profitable life. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like posts that takes you through a blogger's daily comings and goings. It's interesting to see how my day can be different or even very similar. I'm glad I stumbled across your blog today. Have a wonderful weekend,.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Awww, you just made my day! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.