Saturday, November 15, 2014

Driving

     Ever since the day I first got my learners permit I have loved driving when ever I had the opportunity. There are only a few exceptions like bad weather, cities, and the occasional road that really shouldn't even be called a road.

    Over the years my driving record has been impeccable. I've never been pulled over, I've avoided becoming a snack for the hungry ditches along these winding mountain roads, I've never been in an accident of any kind including hitting an animal.

     That changed on Wednesday night on the way home from Christmas pageant practice. A raccoon ran out in front of me and even though I did my best to avoid hitting it, I was not successful. A thud and a bump, and poor Mr. Raccoon was dead, as was my impeccable record.

     Continuing on I kept hearing this weird noise. Surely a raccoon couldn't damage the van, but the longer I kept driving the less sure I was about that. Arriving home I looked, and sure enough, the front bumper was busted.

     I wasn't very happy about the whole deal and heading into the house the children reminded me of the Pollyanna glad game from the book, Pollyanna.  We tried thinking of something to be glad about hitting the raccoon. The only thing we came up with was we were glad it wasn't a skunk.

10 comments:

  1. Mrs. Pepper ... I think that is called positive thinking. I hope that your weekend is filled with sweet pleasures and simple blessings. Hugs ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I hope you have a very nice weekend as well.

      Delete
  2. Yes, a skunk would have been a tad loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewww... the skunk would have been with you for some time after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully raccoons don't carry a skunk smell! :)

      Delete
  4. Haha! That's a good way to look at it. You've trained your children well. Sorry to hear about the accident though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! A raccoon is definitely better than a skunk but I'm still sorry about your driving record.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, maybe I was getting a little smug about it?

      Delete

Awww, you just made my day! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.