Saturday, October 25, 2014

Christmas Plays

     Our church has started their weekly practice sessions for the annual Christmas Pageant. Each year I vow it will be the last year we will be participating, and yet every Wednesday evening finds me transporting the children to pageant practice. As it turns out it isn't the easiest of things to say, " No," to the pastor's wife when she calls and asks for your family's participation.
  
     I love Christmas. Love the songs, the movies, the decorations, the shopping, the food, the making of memories, and everything else that goes with the whole Christmas season. Everything that is, except Christmas pageants.

     I've been trying to understand why I feel this way, but I'm not sure I can articulate my feelings. To me Christmas is a joyful, yet reverent time of celebrating the birth of our Saviour. I have never liked nativity scenes, having a fake baby Jesus feels almost sacrilegious to me.

    So far every Christmas pageant at our church has involved a Joseph, Mary, and a baby Jesus. Seeing all the children kneeling around this makeshift manager holding a doll makes my skin crawl. I know it's a re-enactment of sorts, but it still bothers me. Especially as each year more and more "humor" has to be added. This year it includes the shepherd children and Bethlehem street kids clashing and having a rap off.

    It just doesn't feel right, so once again I'm telling myself this will be the last year we will be participating.

13 comments:

  1. Well Mrs. Pepper...we are in the same page when it comes to the pageants. The church we attend also holds them, but does a live nativity scene...the baby? a real one! but it is in the Winter, so they only keep him out for a bit. I don't participate, because I truly do not enjoy them. I don't like to see the reenactments. So we don't go. Christmas? I enjoy everything about it. And tend to stay close to home when it arrives.

    Thank you so much for visiting my humble space... nice to meet you ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy Christmas pageants.

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I wanted to thank you for stopping by my site and leaving a comment.
    I saw the best play ever just last year where our daughter and her family atten. It wasn't about Christmas, instead it was about dying and what happens afterwards.
    I do love what the Lord has done for us - He is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, He is wonderful! That sounds like an interesting play, and one that was probably more meaningful.

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting perspective and one I honestly haven't thought of before. I know it will make me think before attending another Christmas play. Our children are all grown and scattered so I don't have to worry much about participation these days. That you so much for stopping to visit my blog. I so enjoy meeting new friends in blogland.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to make lots of friends through this blogging journey I'm embarking on.

      Delete
  4. I feel completely the same way as you and stopped joining these things many years ago, in fact I no longer go to a regular church at all after 10 years in a charismatic membership as I came to feel that the ritual, familiarity and interpretation of so many people/activities was actually a distraction from my worship/meditation. We came to nickname it 'Gods social club' and that is when I knew it was no longer right for us. I hope you can find a way to be true to yourselves without feeling uncomfortable about your decisions. All the best. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty.

      I love church, love Christmas, but don't care for the church's Christmas pageant.

      Delete
  5. I've never felt that way about the Christmas pageants but hauling four daughters to those rehearsals was a pain. Plus the fact that there was one mom who insisted her daughter get all the parts that put someone in front/center stage/solos. That's the kind of thing, for me, that took away from the meaning the pageants were trying to convey. My girls loved taking part regardless of the roles they had in the pageants. That mom was like that at church and at school. It was embarrassing to all but the mom. Go figure. I do understand where you're coming from though. There is a church in our town that will modify anything to bring people in. That's not going to do it for me. I've even considered giving the Quaker meetings a go downtown. At least they spend their time in quiet prayer/meditation/reflection and prayer. Life is so busy all week long, quiet reflection is nice at the end of each week. I love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. There's a certain little girl in our church that always gets the part she wants too. The smaller the part the easier I say. I never mind if my children aren't front and center. :)

      I'll be glad once it's over! So far at least the weather has been nice to venture out in the evening. Snow and ice is just around the corner and I'll be kicking myself even more for getting roped into doing this.

      Delete
  6. So happy I found your blog! It's beautiful. I haven't thought of Christmas Plays in that way before... a fake baby Jesus as some kind of irrelevent -- almost sacrilegious -- item... celebrating Him for who He was as a baby rather than what He did as man (saved sinners, died for us, rescued us). At the same time, I suppose it is good to reflect on the way He came down as a helpless baby to rescue us. It's definitely something I'll think about more closely.

    Thanks for a great post!

    Acacia xx
    blog / acacia rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind celebrating His birth, I just don't like a doll pretending to be Him.

      Delete

Awww, you just made my day! Thank-you for taking the time to comment.